Potential : The Rant
Warning: Spoilerish to the amount of 10.
– Finally. Friggin finally. Read the paragraph before the final verdict to know what I mean.
– I’m with most people. Buffy’s speeches are getting more and more tired. It takes away from the impact of the first one.
– The storyline was a little bit deeper than in “Showtime” – it was more interesting as well.
– Clem was poorly, poorly used. I loved seeing the loosely-skinned demon as much as everyone else, but man, if that’s all we see of him I’m gonna be pissed.
– We got that the writers wanted us to think Dawn was a potential after the first couple times they cut to her face during the speeches. We didn’t need to see the cuts 20 friggin’ times.
– I love Spike and Buffy’s *current* relationship. This friendship is soooo much better and more comfortable to view than what went on last season.
– So Amanda is the newest potential? Woopidity doo. At least she can act.
– The mythology of the slayers kind of got screwy last night. The whole “if BUFFY dies” thing is wrong from what we know. I imagine Buffy is probably just ignoring that Faith even existed at this point. I wouldn’t doubt that. If it isn’t that, then someone should be shot for letting that air.
– Ok. You all were waiting for it. “Finally. Friggin Finally.” Xander’s speech. Thank Joss it was about time. We finally get to hear how Xander feels about being the normal one. His talk with Dawn was probably the most moving scene this season. Really-“probably” shouldn’t be in that last sentence. His kiss on her forehead made me remember why he’s the man. I say let’s get ourselves a new watcher. With the exception of book smarts, he’s right for the part. He already has a vast knowledge of the supernatural, he has experience and he’s good with speeches. Give him some tweed and nice reading glasses and you have your new watcher. Very impressed.
Final Verdict: I’m still iffy on the SITs, and Buffy is starting to get repititive with the speeches; but this episode was a nice break away from the long story arc. It wasn’t great, but the last scene made it worthy of a great rating. We needed to see a healthy Spike, we needed to see some friendship and less inappropriate sex from B/S, and we needed to see Xander being the friggin’ hero he is. Yay for “Potential”.
Rating: 3 1/2 STAKES
Leave a Reply